Sunday, April 5, 2009

Experience is Priceless

Not long ago I gave Micah and Nathan a bath and we came to one of those moments that define your parenting. We were at the place of "do my kids trust me or not?" Ok, it wasn't that dramatic.

As Nathan and Micah were playing in the tub Nathan announced that he needed to go potty. I suggested that he get out and use the toilet. He let me know that it was okay for him to pee in the bathtub. I tried to explain to him how gross it was. We went back and forth a few times and eventually nature took over and he couldn't hold it. He went pee in the tub. Not long after peeing in the tub he began to drink the water. That's really gross.

There are so many life lessons that can come from this story, but the one that has stuck with me is that Nathan didn't trust me. He thought what he did was okay. When he gets a little older he will understand how gross it is to pee in the bathtub that you are playing in. I wonder how many mistakes I make because I am to prideful and have to do it my way instead of listening to others who have great wisdom and experiences.

3 comments:

make sure he doesn't drink pool water... haha

OHH what about lake water? fish pee and poo? yumm

I hear that pee is sterile, but I still wouldn't recommend drinking the stuff.

Thank God for little boys! = )

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More